Epic And Google Go To Court Over App Store Fees

Epic Games brought its crusade to open up mobile app stores to court once again on Monday in a lawsuit against Google, claiming the firm acts as a monopoly by imposing its 30 percent commission on in-app purchases through the Google Play Store.

The company removed its popular game Fortnite from the Apple and Google app stores in 2020, arguing their fees were “taxes” on developers.

Google is planning to present counterclaims that Epic violated its contract with the company by introducing additional payment meethods in Fortnite for Android and Apple devices.

“Epic’s deceitful conduct unjustly enriched Epic at Google’s expense,” Google said in a filing.

Image credit: Unsplash

App store dispute

Epic lost on most of its arguments in a non-jury trial against Apple over its App Store in 2021, with the judge rejecting the idea of Apple as a monopoly, although the judge did allow apps to direct users to alternative forms of payment.

Apple and Epic have both asked the US Supreme Court to revisit that case.

Epic is seeking to force Google to allow greater diversity of app stores on Android and to provide users with more options for payment processing on in-app purchases, but is not seeking monetary damages.

Google argues it does allow third-party app stores, such as Samsung’s Galaxy Store, allows users to download apps directly from the internet and cites a pilot programme in 35 countries called “user choice billing” that allows alternative forms of payment within apps.

But Epic says Google has arranged through contracts with device makers and app developers to ensure its Play Store remains dominant on Android, citing for instance a $360 million (£293m) payment to Activision to keep its apps in its store.

‘No meaningful competition’

Google also imposes restrictive financial conditions on developers who bypass its payment methods, Epic argues.

“As a result of its anticompetitive acts, Google faces no meaningful competition or threat of competition,” Epic said in a court filing.

The arguments are similar to those of the US government in a separate antitrust trial against Google currently ongoing in Washington, DC, in which the Department of Justice is citing contracts with device makers and telecoms companies making Google the default search engine.

The case has enough differences to Epic’s lawsuit against Apple that the outcome is not certain, including the fact that the San Francisco trial is being held before a jury after Google failed in an attempt last week to have Judge James Donato hear the case by himself.

Matthew Broersma

Matt Broersma is a long standing tech freelance, who has worked for Ziff-Davis, ZDnet and other leading publications

Recent Posts

Tech Groups Call On US DoJ To Investigate YouTube Monopoly

Open letter urges US Department of Justice to investigate Alphabet's YouTube for alleged domination of…

6 hours ago

EU To Impose Tariffs Up To 38 Percent On Chinese EVs

European Commission investigation provisionally concludes China offers unfair subsidies to its EV makers – tariffs…

8 hours ago

CIOs Admit AI Is Investment Priority, Just Ahead Of Security, Cloud

Challenges to enterprise growth ambitions include geopolitical issues, inflation and economic uncertainty, Expereo's IDC report…

11 hours ago

Nvidia Completes Stock Split To Make Shares More Affordable

The 10-for-1 stock split at Nvidia has taken place, after the meteoric share price rise…

13 hours ago

Elon Musk Drops OpenAI Lawsuit, Threatens Apple Ban

Surprising twist by Elon Musk after he ditches lawsuit against OpenAI, and also threatens to…

14 hours ago