Post-MWC delay means less chance of clashing with new devices from Samsung and HTC
LG has reportedly delayed the launch of its hotly-anticipated new flagship, the LG G4, to April in order to skirt the Mobile World Congress (MWC) show in Barcelona next month.
With several major releases from the likes of Samsung and HTC set to occur at the show and hog media attention, LG has decided to hold back in order to ensure its new flagship gets the exposure it deserves, a source reportedly from within the company told the Korea Times.
“Samsung usually releases its new flagship model in the first quarter of each year, and Apple in the second quarter,” the source said. “We need some in-between time to make a bigger splash.”
The news matches LG’s launch strategy for its previous devices, including the G3, which was released on May 28 last year.
Samsung’s Galaxy S6 is expected to take up much of the media attention at this year’s MWC, marking the company’s latest attempt to regain its crown as the world’s number one smartphone manufacturer.
The South Korean company sent out media invites to a launch event on March 1, the first day of the show, where it is expected to reveal several iterations of its new device, including one which has a three-sided display.
HTC is also set to reveal its latest flagship, the One M9, in Barcelona, as it too tries to establish itself as one of the leading Android players.
What do you remember about the smartphones of 2014? Try our quiz!