Huwaei Delays Flagship Mate X Folding Phone

Huawei said it would delay the launch of its folding smartphone until September in order to carry out additional tests.

The company introduced the Mate X in February at Mobile World Congress, and was initially targeting a mid-2019 launch date.

But the firm said it was taking a more “cautious” approach after problems emerged with Samsung’s Galaxy Fold in tests by reviewers.

“We don’t want to launch a product to destroy our reputation,” Huawei told CNBC.

Huawei is targeting the Mate X for use with 5G networks, and said it is testing the device with carriers around the world to ensure it works seamlessly with their next-generation technology.

Ken Hu, Huawei’s deputy chairman and rotating CEO, speaks at Huawei European Innovation Day 2017. Image credit: Huawei

Tests

The device is planned to sell for some 2,299 euros or roughly £2,050.

Huawei last week cancelled the launch of a new laptop because the device required parts that were unavailable due to the firm having been placed on a US blacklist.

On Monday, Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei said the company had underestimated the imapact of the US blacklist, and now expects a revenue decline of around $25 billion (£20bn) both this year and next year, before sales recover in 2021.

It was the first time Huawei had quantified the effects of the ban, after initially saying it was prepared to become self-sufficient.

New operating system

The Mate X is still planned to launch with Google’s Android operating system, since the device was developed before Huawei was blacklisted.

But the company is developing its own operating system as a “plan B”, and recently began obtaining trademarks for the software, called “Hongmeng”.

Huawei said the new system could be ready in the next six to nine months, if necessary, but reiterated that it would prefer to continue using Android.

The US is also pressuring the UK and other countries to bar Huawei from participating in building their 5G networks.

Matthew Broersma

Matt Broersma is a long standing tech freelance, who has worked for Ziff-Davis, ZDnet and other leading publications

Recent Posts

DeepMind Co-Founder Suleyman Departs For Investment Firm

DeepMind co-founder Mustafa Suleyman leaves parent company Google for Silicon Valley venture capital firm after…

5 hours ago

US Legislation To Boost Chip Funding Set For House

US House of Representatives set to introduce bill on tech funding and domestic chip manufacturing,…

6 hours ago

Intel Says Ohio Site Could Become World’s Biggest Chip Plant

Intel chooses Ohio site for manufacturing investment that could grow to $100bn over ten years,…

6 hours ago

Digital Bank Chime Financial Plans Massive IPO

Chime Financial plans New York IPO worth up to $40bn after Covid-19 pandemic leads to…

7 hours ago

Twitter Shake-Up Sees Departure Of Top Security Staff

Twitter says head of security no longer at company and chief information security officer to…

7 hours ago

Google Asks Judge To Dismiss Most Of Texas Antitrust Case

Google asks federal judge to dismiss most counts of antitrust case filed by Texas and…

8 hours ago