As energy companies, automakers, and other stakeholders seek innovative, low carbon solutions for transportation, an emerging Energy Cloud transportation-to-grid (T2G) platform represents the nexus of accelerated transformation for the energy and transportation industries.
According to Navigant, T2G is one of seven Energy Cloud platforms expected to transform the energy sector into a network of a networks, supporting two-way energy flows in which customer choice, clean energy, innovation, orchestration, and agility command a premium. Centered on the electrification of transportation and the integration with the electricity grid, T2G is supported by four key business models expected to represent opportunities worth an estimated $150 billion to $200 billion in annual revenue by 2028.
These business models include:
- Infrastructure developer: Provide charging points with different levels of infrastructure management (including infrastructure as a service)
- Charging service provider: Sell recharging to electric vehicle (EV) owners and maximize revenue by fixed or flexible tariffs
- Load orchestrator: Leverage EVs as batteries on wheels to balance load or provide ancillary services
- Mobility provider: Provide mobility as a service to the customer
“As decarbonization of transportation becomes a top priority globally, the market players in energy and transportation are looking at emerging T2G platforms to unlock new value streams, accelerate new product and service offerings, and maximize the opportunities for success,” says Jan Vrins, leader of Navigant’s global Energy practice.
A T2G platform is built on the foundation of increasingly autonomous, connected, electric, and shared (ACES) vehicles. As described by Navigant, the supporting electric charging infrastructure, along with distributed intelligent devices, software, data, and communications, adds a layer of locational flexibility that opens the door to disruption of long-held industry approaches:
- Global oil & gas companies are rethinking their retail fueling business
- Original equipment manufacturers are embracing mobility over ownership
- EV supply equipment companies are building enhanced services
- Utilities and energy providers are redefining themselves and enabling new revenue streams
- Solution providers are leveraging their platforms to offer services
- Governments are transforming their concepts of transportation and are promoting electrification efforts
- Investors are taking advantage of a time-bound opportunity to invest
“To remain competitive in tomorrow’s transportation and energy landscapes, market players must embrace new business models and assess their organization’s unique strengths for delivering mobility products and services,” says Ted Walker, managing director at Navigant. “Companies can stay ahead of the curve by identifying synergistic go-to-market partnerships and looking toward service-based business models.”
To learn more about T2G, download Navigant’s latest white paper, Transportation-to-Grid: New Business Models to Capture Value in the Energy Cloud, and join the social media conversation through #Transportation2Grid.
With over 600 consultants, Navigant’s global Energy practice is the largest energy and sustainability consulting team in the industry. We collaborate with utilities and energy companies, governments and NGOs, large corporations, product manufacturers, tech vendors, and investors to help them thrive in a rapidly changing energy environment. Our clients include the world’s 60 largest electric, water, and gas utilities; the 20 largest independent power generators; and the 20 largest gas distribution and pipeline companies. Navigant’s seasoned professionals and highly skilled specialists form exceptional teams to help clients transform their businesses, manage complexity and accelerate operational performance, meet compliance requirements, and transform organizations and systems to address upcoming changes as the energy transition accelerates.
Navigant Consulting, Inc. (NYSE: NCI) is a specialized, global professional services firm that helps clients take control of their future. Navigant’s professionals apply deep industry knowledge, substantive technical expertise, and an enterprising approach to help clients build, manage, and/or protect their business interests. With a focus on markets and clients facing transformational change and significant regulatory or legal pressures, the firm primarily serves clients in the healthcare, energy, and financial services industries. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and technology/analytics services, Navigant’s practitioners bring sharp insight that pinpoints opportunities and delivers powerful results. More information about Navigant can be found at navigant.com.