Pulumi Corporation today announced the general availability of version 1.0 of its modern Infrastructure as Code platform. Pulumi 1.0 introduces new capabilities designed to help developer and operations teams overcome organizational silos and achieve best-in-class levels of productivity, reliability and security on any cloud using familiar programming languages and open source tools and frameworks. Since its founding in 2017, Pulumi has worked with thousands of end users and companies of all sizes — from startups to Global 2000 Enterprises — to deliver production workloads. The 1.0 milestone is a statement of the readiness of Pulumi’s platform for the most demanding applications and organizations.
“I needed a solution that cut across silos and gave our developers a tool they could use themselves to provision infrastructure to suit their own immediate needs,” said Dinesh Ramamurthy, engineering manager at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America. “The way Pulumi solves the multi-cloud problem is exactly what I was looking for.”
“As the largest eCommerce platform in Latin America, our infrastructure has to be highly stable, well documented and agile. With Pulumi, we’re able to develop new infrastructure, change existing infrastructure and more with greater speed and reliability than we’ve ever had before,” said Harrison Heck, head of DevOps at Linio. “Pulumi has allowed us to simplify and automate our workflow, ensuring that changes that are made have been reviewed the same way that they are for our applications.”
Using Pulumi, developer and operations teams can:
- Keep infrastructure up-to-date and versioned across any cloud provider, including AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Digital Ocean and others
- Break down silos between development, infrastructure and operations teams with common tools, workflows and policies
Pulumi 1.0 introduces a number of significant new capabilities, including:
- Infrastructure as Code SDK: Create, deploy and manage cloud applications and infrastructure using Pulumi. Plan deployments, audit operations and query and manage infrastructure state on any cloud. Import existing infrastructure or coexist with Terraform, CloudFormation, Azure Resource Manager or Kubernetes and Helm config.
- Productivity Frameworks: Leverage general purpose languages to share and reuse components that include automatic best practices for cloud architectures. Teams can use Pulumi’s frameworks or create and share their own.
- Environment Management: Automatically manage state across multiple environments for robust and reliable deployments that work in a team setting on any cloud.
- Encrypted Secrets: Provision and configure infrastructure that is secure by default, with built-in secrets management and encryption. Pulumi’s own Key Management Service ensures all projects can benefit. Seamless integration with AWS KMS, Azure KeyVault, Google Cloud KMS and HashiCorp Vault let teams use existing keys and policies.
- Identity Provider Integrations: Secure access to any environment using your choice of identity provider, including GitHub, GitLab, Atlassian, or SAML/SSO, including Active Directory, Okta, Google G Suite and more. Role Based Access Control (RBAC) enables fine-grained team membership and permissions management.
- CI/CD Integrations: Automate deployments with Azure DevOps, AWS Code Services, CircleCI, Codefresh, GitHub, GitLab, Google Cloud Build, Jenkins, Travis and more.
Pulumi’s open source SDK is available on GitHub, and benefits from the contributions of hundreds of community members. The free Community Edition enables individuals to manage their cloud environments, while the commercial Team Edition adds support for organizations. The Enterprise Edition offers additional identity options, policies and controls, and self-hosting capabilities. All editions offer affordable pricing and support and training is available.
“The release of Pulumi 1.0 is a major milestone for our team and customers,” said Joe Duffy, Pulumi co-founder and CEO. “We would like to sincerely thank our passionate community for their support, contributions and belief in our vision to break down silos and unlock cloud innovation and productivity for everyone. We are super excited to reach this milestone and can’t wait to see what everyone builds with Pulumi!”
Pulumi’s modern Infrastructure as Code platform enables teams to create, deploy and manage infrastructure on any cloud — public, private, or hybrid — using open source and their favorite languages. Our unique approach unlocks great tooling, productivity, sharing and reuse. Teams are able to build consistent workflows across any cloud and enforce best practices, for both developers and operators. Powerful integrated policies and controls ensure that leaders can empower their teams to embrace the cloud with speed and confidence. Customers innovating with Pulumi span the range of small startups to the largest Global 2000 organizations.