Jobber, the leading provider of home service management software, today released its Home Service Economic Report: Q1 2021 Edition, which showcases market trends and insights pertaining to the performance of the Home Service category throughout 2020 and the beginning of 2021. Consumer spending in Home Service started growing faster than pre-pandemic levels by the end of 2020, and continues to do so into 2021, with the category reaching record revenue growth in March.
The Home Service category had a slow start to the year, but activity quickly accelerated throughout the quarter. According to the report, the category experienced a record-breaking 32% year-over-year growth in new work scheduled, an early indicator of the health of Home Service businesses, and a sign of a great summer ahead.
“Throughout the pandemic, and now as we continue our path towards recovery, Home Service businesses have continued to prove their reliability and resilience,” said Sam Pillar, CEO & Co-founder at Jobber. “With consumer spending on home services outpacing pre-pandemic levels and technology adoption within the category continuing to rise, these battle-tested entrepreneurs are prepared to take advantage of what is expected to be a prosperous second quarter.”
Jobber’s Home Service Economic Reports are compiled using proprietary data aggregated from over 100,000 residential cleaners, landscapers, HVAC technicians, window washers, plumbers, and more, who use the platform. That data is also compared to various sources of government data. In addition to analyzing the overall Home Service category, the report provides insights into key segments such as Cleaning, Contracting, and Green, as well as industry trends related to technology adoption and how it impacts a business’ ability to get work, do work, invoice and get paid.
Key findings from the Home Service Economic Report: Q1 2021 Edition include:
- Home Service ended Q1 as the fastest-growing category: While revenue for Grocery Stores and General Merchandise Stores dropped in Q1, revenue for Home Service businesses grew.
- Median revenue peaks in March: Median revenue for the Home Service category experienced positive year-over-year growth throughout the quarter, hitting a record high of 31%.
- Cleaning started 2021 off slow but is rebounding: Cleaning was the industry hit hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting restrictions, but is recovering well; in March 2021, new work scheduled rose by 42% year-over-year and median revenue by 20%.
- Contracting outperforms last year’s record: The Contracting segment surpassed March 2020’s record performance by growing 25% year-over-year in March 2021.
- Spring arrives early for Green segment: New work scheduled in the Green segment, which includes landscaping, lawn care, and other outdoor services, has had consistent positive growth throughout the pandemic and into this year, with revenue following a similar pattern. February 2021 experienced enormous growth of 37% that levelled the following month.
- Home Service embracing technology: Technology adoption continued to increase across home service business workflows. Visit-related communication grew significantly in 2020, and saw record growth in March 2021.
“Although the first quarter of this year started off slow, it quickly ramped up to a point where March was a record setting month for many of the growth metrics we track,” said Abheek Dhawan, VP, Business Operations at Jobber. “This is the third straight quarter with positive growth for the Home Service category. The overall resilience and recovery of these businesses has been remarkable and we look forward to supporting them as they reach new levels of success throughout this year.”
To download the Home Service Economic Report: Q1 2021 Edition, visit: https://getjobber.com/home-service-reports/april-2021/
Jobber is an award-winning business management platform for small home service businesses. Unlike spreadsheets or pen and paper, Jobber keeps track of everything in one place and automates day-to-day operations, so small businesses can provide 5-star service at scale. Jobber’s 100,000+ home service professionals have served over 12 million households in more than 47 countries. The company continually ranks as one of Canada’s fastest growing and most innovative companies by Canadian Business and Macleans, The Globe and Mail, Fast Company, and Deloitte. For more information, visit: https://getjobber.com/.