CES 2017: Here are snapshots of a few innovative products being demonstrated at CES this week
AI Embedded into Toothbrush for Kids and Adults
Kolibree, a tech company focused on connected solutions in oral health, launched Ara, a CES 2017 Innovation Award Honoree and the first toothbrush with embedded artificial intelligence.
“Patented deep learning algorithms are embedded directly inside the toothbrush on a low-power processor. Raw data from the sensors runs through the processor, enabling the system to learn your habits and refine accuracy the more it’s used,” Kolibree founder and CEO Thomas Serval said.
Ara knows precisely where in your mouth you are brushing, even when not connected to the app on a mobile device. Whether brushing on or offline, brushing data (frequency, duration and brushed areas) is captured in the toothbrush and automatically synced via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE 4.0) when the app is open.
Ara’s advanced offline mode is a new step for IoT in oral health. It’s the culmination of studying behaviors, over a three-year period, of more than 10,000 people who have used a Kolibree toothbrush, the first electric connected toothbrush, Serval said.
The company has learned that children are motivated to brush their teeth –and have learned to brush more effectively–when enticed by a mobile game, such as Kolibree’s Go Pirate, which is part of the Kolibree app.
- Proprietary AI technology in the toothbrush in addition to 3-D motion sensors, accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer
- Offline data capture and analytics include date, time, duration and zones brushed.
- Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy) for easy automatic connection and data sync
- Kolibree Index on the mobile app (iOS and Android) displays your personal score based on cumulative online and offline brushing.
- Weighing only 2.5 ounces (70 grams), and with a 2-week battery life, Ara by Kolibree travels easily.
- Weekly e-mail report shows at a glance how well you’ve brushed over the last seven days.
Extra Functionality, 6TB Storage for 2016 Apple MacBook Pro
OWC, which makes accessories for Macs and PCs, announced the OWC DEC, which it claims is the first storage expansion solution designed specifically for the 2016 Apple MacBook Pro.
The OWC DEC dock enables users to extend the life and the functionality of the high-end 2016 MacBook Pro. The DEC is the latest in OWC’s long line of upgrades for nearly every Mac made, the company said.
The OWC DEC attaches completely flush to the bottom of the 2016 MacBook Pro, providing additional flash storage and connectivity, ultimately increasing the performance of MacBook Pros. With the OWC DEC, users will get an enhancement path for their 2016
MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to keep their system upgradable for the long term in a clean and integrated fashion.
This dock has a range of features, which include:
- Up to 4TB of additional Flash/SSD storage (for a maximum of 6 TB, including factory capacity);
- SD Card Slot/Multi-Media card slot;
- USB 3 Type A Ports for standard USB cabled devices; and
- Gigabit Ethernet.
Originally published on eWeek