Story Two: Think Intelligent Assistants
Curran: “Intelligent assistants will take center stage at CES 2017”
- While the first story to watch is more about experiences of AI though not necessarily visible to consumers, this second story is about how AI is emerging is as front and center to them. The story will be about the availability of platforms upon which intelligent assistants can plug into.
- These platforms provide real-world utility to the interactions, everything from telling you the weather to playing music to controlling the temperature in your home. For example, intelligent virtual assistants, such as Siri and Alexa, will be one of the biggest artificial intelligence stories at CES and bigger than ever at this event.
- Holiday sales of intelligent assistants are expected to be brisk. Expect there to be more introductions of these products at CES than ever.
- Anticipate plenty of news about higher-performing and more reliable intelligent assistants in which consumer electronics technologies interact verbally with humans such as to ask questions and make suggestions.
- Intelligent assistants can help send messages, for example, and update a person when he or she is running late for a meeting.
- Two trends are driving demand for intelligent assistants: growing dependence on messaging for communications and the availability of platforms for building intelligent assistants.
- Messaging platforms such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, which have become popular with more than a billion monthly users, could evolve to become a one-stop shop for messaging, entertainment and payments. Expect news about these platforms being more widely used in consumer electronics products.
- Accelerated by the emergence of Amazon Echo and Google Home, intelligent assistants are transforming our lives by making everyday tasks easier. Examples include prioritizing emails and making their users more effective and efficient.
- The growth in sales of digital assistants could help accelerate the Internet of Things market, creating new applications and services to make devices more valuable and useful.
- The global intelligent virtual assistant market is projected to expand at 32 percent from 2016 through 2024, according to Transparence Market Research. The market was sized at $627 million in 2015 and projected to be $7.9 billion by 2024.
Story Three: IoT security on page 3…
Originally published on eWeek