Scientists Develop Safer Child-Friendly Battery Coating

Smartphone battery © Pavel Ignatov Shutterstock 2012

Scientists invent coating to prevent visits to hospital A&E departments due to battery ingestion

Scientists have come with a potentially very useful development for parents to help make batteries safer if they are accidentally swallowed or ingested.

In the United States alone, it is estimated that nearly 4,000 children a year have to go to hospital after swallowing the flat disc-like batteries commonly found in toys, watches, and other devices.

Hard To Swallow

Swallowing a battery can be potentially life threatening, as it can cause with severe internal burns, damage to oesophagus, tears in the digestive tract, and in some cases, even death.

AppleBatteryIconIf ingested, batteries interact with water or saliva, which then produces hydroxide, a caustic ion that damages tissue.

But now researchers at MIT, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Massachusetts General Hospital have devised a new coating that prevents batteries from conducting electricity after being swallowed. When tested on animals, it found that such batteries did not damage the gastrointestinal (GI) tract at all.

“We are all very pleased that our studies have shown that these new batteries we created have the potential to greatly improve safety due to accidental ingestion for the thousands of patients every year who inadvertently swallow electric components in toys or other entities,” said Robert Langer, the David H. Koch Institute Professor at MIT.

According to the researchers, roughly five billion button batteries are produced every year. To make matters worse, batteries are becoming even more powerful, which apparently makes them even more dangerous if swallowed.

The researchers took action over the issue because whilst they are regulations surrounding how batteries are stored in toys, package labels etc, there was no technological innovations to make the batteries themselves safer.

“Disc batteries in the esophagus require [emergency] endoscopic removal,” said Giovanni Traverso, a research fellow at the Koch Institute and a gastroenterologist. “This represents a gastrointestinal emergency, given that tissue damage starts as soon as the battery is in contact with the tissue, generating an electric current [and] leading to a chemical burn.”

Researchers quickly realised that batteries generate a current when they are in their housing, because they are under a gentle pressure. Thus they developed a coating that would still allow batteries to conduct when under pressure, but that would act as an insulator when the batteries are not being compressed.

They opted to quantum tunneling composite (QTC), an off-the-shelf material commonly used in computer keyboards and touch screens. QTC is a rubberlike material, usually made of silicone, embedded with metal particles.

Battery Research

There is a lot of research going into battery technology nowadays, mostly associated with how to make batteries last longer because of power hungry smartphones.

Batteries are of course highly toxic items full of nasty chemicals, but last year scientists from the University of East Anglia claimed to have made a significant discovery which they said could lead to efficient generation of clean electricity from bacteria.

They found that just by lying on the surface of a metal or mineral, bacteria can transfer electrical charge through their cell membranes, meaning they could be used, if hooked up to electrodes, as “microbial fuel cells”, otherwise known as bio-batteries.

Think you know it all about green IT? Try our quiz!

Read also :
Author: Tom Jowitt
Click to read the authors bio  Click to hide the authors bio