Leaking data you believe to be in the public interest can make your life difficult. We look at the people who have used technology to expose controversial data – or have leaked technological secrets
Name the US surveillance programme which was among the first leaks from former CIA employee Edward Snowden, in 2013?
- Magic Lantern
Snowden asked for asylum in Russia. On what condition would Vladimir Putin agree to consider this?
- Snowden must work for the Russian secret service
- Snowden must promise not to be gay
- Snowden must promise not to leak more US secrets
"Whistleblower" is used instead of negative terms such as "informer" for those who leak information they believe to be in the public interest. Who coined the term?
- Ralph Nader
- Noam Chomsky
- Alan Sugar
What information did Bradley Manning famously reveal to Wikileaks?
- US Embassy cables
- Logs from the Iraq and Afghan wars
TRUE or FALSE? Manning was himself exposed by a "grey hat" hacker
Sky journalist Edward Tubb was not charged for accessing someone's emails in 2008. Why not?
- The emails exposed Russian spying
- The emails revealed someone tried to fake their own death
- The emails were all spam
Julian Assange, head of Wikileaks is fighting against extradition to which country?
- The US
What technological secret did Mordechai Vanunu expose?
- Russian tank plans
- US computer designs
- Israeli nuclear research
What did emails leaked from The University of East Anglia in 2009 supposedly reveal?
- That climate change was a scam
- That oil companies were denying climate change
- That exam results were rigged
Whose personal details did Anonymous leak in May 2013?
- Alleged Muslim extremists
- Alleged English Defence League (EDL) members
- Theresa May
Which former member of the LulzSec hacker group informed on his former colleagues?
- Jake Davis (Topiary)
- Hector Xavier Monesegur (Sabu)
- Ryan Cleary ViraL)
What is the name of the splinter group set up by disaffected Wikileaks staff in 2010?
Which US telecom firm filed for bankruptcy in 2002 after its fraudulent accounting was revealed by a whistleblower?
In what country has the WikiLeaks political party formed?
In 2006, what was revealed to be going on in Room 641A of a San Francisco building ?
- Unwarranted US government wiretaps of optical networks
- Secret cyber attacks against foreign nations
- A US-based cell of foreign spies
Result: [SCORE-MESSAGE] out of [NB-OF-QUESTION-MESSAGE]
We won;t comment on your performance in this quiz
Good try - keep reading!
You clearly have impressive sources of information. well done!