How did Oracle, Google, Sun, and the rest choose their names? The answers aren’t simple!
LAST UPDATED: 09/10/2017
What is software giant Oracle named after?
- A CIA project to create a powerful database
- The Oracle of Delphi
- Nothing, it's just a forward looking sentiment
Where did Google get its name?
- A portmanteau word from googly (pot-eyed) and ogle
- After goggles, for clarifying vision
- A mis-spelling of Googol
Where did Adobe's name come from?
- The Adobe building that first housed the company
- The stream running behind the founder's house
- The concept of modular construction with bricks
What is the meaning of Sun Microsystems?
- A source of light and energy
- Storage, Unix and Networking
- Stanford University Network
Why did Red Hat take that name?
- Open source is revolutionary
- Anagram of
- The founder regretted losing a red hat
What is Nokia in Finland?
- A small town
- The Finnish word for 'talking'
- A type of pastry
Why is Apple called Apple?
- After Isaac Newton's inspiration
- The produce of a local Cupertino orchard
- It was the only name to emerge before a 5pm deadline
What does Yahoo! mean?
- The anarchic creatures in Gulliver's Travels
- A yelp of delight
- Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle
Why is Linux called Linux?
- After its founder
- After Linkoping, Sweden
- It's short for Linespan UX
What does SAP stand for?
- Systems Analysis and Program development
- Systeme Anwendungen und Produkte in der Datenverarbeitung
- Sozialistische Arbeitspartei in Polen
Why was the web mail service Hotmail called Hotmail?
- A joke on Bill Gates' overuse of the word
- HoTMaiL refers to the HTML protocol
- Mail that carries hot news
Where does Cisco get its name from?
- Communications and IT Systems Co
- The heroic Cisco Kid
- An abbreviation of San Francisco
Why is HP Hewlett-Packard, and not Packard-Hewlett?
- Bill Hewlett owned the garage
- They tossed a coin
- Alphabetical Order
What was the original name of Twitter?
What is Intel derived from?
- Integrated Electronics
- International telecoms
Result: [SCORE-MESSAGE] out of [NB-OF-QUESTION-MESSAGE]
Who are you anyway?
Well done and thank you!
You are a name to conjure with!