Google’s astoundingly sober homepage is only the visible tip of a huge iceberg, with numerous secrets hidden underneath.
Commands, search tricks and touches of humour are sprinkled generously throughout the different tools made by the firm from Mountain View. So you think you know everything about Google? Here’s your chance to prove it!
What is the name of the filter that enables you to remove “inappropriate content” from search results?
What special character must you use before a word if you want the search results to include its synonyms?
What is the name of the English ‘phantom town’ in Google Maps?
What is the purpose of the "site:" command in a search?
- To find Internet sites containing the searched expression in the URL
- To find pages containing the searched expression in a specific Internet site
- To find pages that link to the URL being searched for
The Google Translate service is able to play beat box when you type certain characters (zk, pv, bk, etc.). What language do you need to translate to for this to happen?
When you search for expressions between inverted commas, what results will you get?
- Pages that contain the searched expression in their meta description
- Pages that contain all the words between the inverted commas, in any order
- Pages containing the searched expression word-for-word
Which of these searches does not fall within the functions of Google?
- Weather in Antibes
- 3km in yards
- Aquarius horoscope
Originally, what URL did one have type to get to the Google search in secured mode (SSL)?
What does the "-" command do when placed before a word when searching?
- Finds pages containing terms partially made up of this word
- Finds pages that don't contain this word
- Finds pages that contain this word in their URL
Which of these commands is specific to the Google News service?
What is the purpose of putting "|" between two words in a search?
- To find pages containing the word just before or just after the "|"
- To find pages containing both words in the same sentence
- To find pages containing both words, where the word before the "|" appears first
What command allows you to symbolise a missing word in a search?
What household pet are employees allowed to bring to their workplace at the Googleplex in Mountain View, California?
- A cat
- A dog
- A hamster
What means of transport does Google Maps suggest for travelling to Japan from China?
- Jet Ski
What is the name of the technique used by Internet users aimed at boosting a site's search result ranking?
- Google bombing
- Google target
- Google spamming