As the tinsel goes up in offices, technology comes to a standstill. Or does it? Check out the gifts of Christmas past and present
LAST UPDATED: 14/12/2017
If Amazon has its way, how will your Christmas 2018 presents be delivered?
- By sleigh
- By drone
- By March 2019
Every year, online sales are supposed to save the economy - or destroy the High Street. What do the media call the big day for online Christmas shopping?
- Un-Boxing Day
- Cyber Monday
- Tinsel Tuesday
TRUE or FALSE? Christmas is also a time for sharing. The first disruptive computer worm, back in 1987, drew an ASCII-art picture of a Christmas tree
In 2011, Google offered users a festive surprise: their screen would fill with snow when a special phrase was typed into the search engine. What was the magic phrase?
- Jingle Bells
- Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly
- Let it Snow
During the Christmas Break, the Queen announces her New Year's Honours. Who was knighted in 2013?
- ARM's Warren East
- Imagination's Hossein Yassaie
- Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales
What did Microsoft give its employees for Christmas in 2012?
- A picture of Steve Ballmer in a Santa hat
- An iPad mini
- A Surface tablet
Why did iPhone users have problems in the 2010 to 2011 holiday season?
- Their alarms failed on January 1 2011
- iPhone 4 signals failed due to interference from tinsel
- iPhones froze when trying to open Flash-based Christmas cards
TRUE or FALSE: IT workers are most likely to have sex at a Christmas party
In 2009, a download-only single topped the UK charts for the first time, after a Facebook campaign. What was the song?
- John Cage: 4'33
- The Wombles: Wombling Merry Christmas
- Rage Against The Machine: Killing In The Name Of
How many people in the UK are expected to go online on Christmas Day?
- Ten percent
- 66 percent
- 94 percent
In 2012, Google was accused of "cancelling Christmas" . This was an over-reaction to what technical glitch?
- Google Maps lost the North Pole
- One app in Android 4.2 disregarded December
- Youtube cracked down on copyright-breaking Cliff Richard videos
Why was this photo of Craig Lynch a Christmas hit in 2009?
- It was part of a viral turkey advert
- He was voted the Internet's most attractive man
- Escaped convict Lynch put the image on Facebook to taunt police
On Christmas Day 2015, which online game marketplace suffered a security breach?
- Playstation Network
- Xbox Live
What is Father Christmas' address on Gmail?
Result: [SCORE-MESSAGE] out of [NB-OF-QUESTION-MESSAGE]
Maybe Christmas isn't happening for you. Or maybe you are so festive, you've forgotten all about the tech.
You've not achieved the top score, but you've been good all year, and put in a special effort here. We think you deserve for all of your wishes to come true this Christmas!
Your Christmas tech knowledge is deep and crisp and even. There's nothing going on round this time that you don't know about. Time to get those chestnuts roasting and settle back with a festive glass or two, and one eye on the Internet.