Ethernet is everywhere – wiring the world in the last 30 years. How well do you know it?
In what decade was the Ethernet standard first published?
Sorry to ask, but do you know the number of that standard?
- IEEE 802.3
- IEEE 802.11
- IEEE 802.5
What is the fastest published Ethernet standard (at June 2014)?
How fast was the first standard Ethernet version - published in 1983 and running on coaxial cable?
Which company's names were on the first Ethernet standard submission?
- Data General, IBM, Xerox
- 3Com, HP, Xerox
- Digital. Intel, Xerox
History buffs - what was IBM's 1980s Ethernet rival called?
- Token Ring
- Token Bus
Which company proposed a competitor to 100Mbps "Fast Ethernet", called 100VG-AnyLAN?
How many "twisted pairs" of wires are needed for (1000base-T) Gigabit Ethernet?
Ethernet can also carry electrical power - what's the maximum delivered within the standard if all wire pairs are used?
TRUE or FALSE? Ethernet has a standard that allows the network to switch on a remote computer
What is Carrier Ethernet?
- Ethernet services carried over big ISP networks
- Mobile Ethernet switches for remote deployment
- Ethernet carried by pigeon
Do you know what the 802.3az standard (known as EEE) is?
- Eurpoean Encoded Ethernet
- Energy Efficient Ethernet
- Ectoplasmic Exchange Ethernet
How does Ethernet transmit data?
- In frames
- In packets
- In buckets
Which of these are you most likely to see in data centres?
- Fibre Channel over Ethernet
- Ethernet over Fibre Channel
And finally, why is it called Ethernet?
- After the bonds in chemical ether
- After the luminiferous ether, the supposed medium for light
- It works on "either" fibre or copper
Result: [SCORE-MESSAGE] out of [NB-OF-QUESTION-MESSAGE]
Get more fibre!